Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Ganesh ~ "Removing obstacles and creating obstacles"


Hello 'jala' jalaians!

So the past two days have been dedicated to Ganesh within the 'jalaBlu' classes! In Hindu legends Ganesh is the son of Parvati and Shiva. He is the little boy with an elephant head and a big belly that represents prosperity. He is also known to clear obstacles within our spiritual path and of course create obstacles when needed. I like this guy....:). He also represents peace and wisdom~

There are quite a few variations of this story on how he received an elephant head. Here is just one story within my own words. Shiva (the husband of Pavarti) had been gone for quite some time and was just returning. During his absense Pavarti molded their son out of her beautiful skin~One day Pavarti asked Ganesh to guard the house while she took a perfumed bath. She asked Ganesh to not let anyone in. As Ganesh stood in front of the door, Shiva (the father) crossed the path. Ganesh not knowing that Shiva was his father would not allow Shiva to pass (being loyal to his mother). Shiva became very angry (maybe an understatement) and beheaded Ganesh. Shiva of course did not know this was his son. As he entered the house Pavarti ran out to see her beloved son who no longer had a head. When she told Shiva that Ganesh was his son they decided the first creature to cross their path would be the head of Ganesh. And so, a huge elephant came walking by. Shiva chopped off the head of the elephant and blessed Ganesh with a new head. And so.......as in the image above Ganesh is represented with the beautiful head of an elephant.

As we walk within our own journey their are always obstacles on our path. Sometimes these obstacles don't last long and sometimes we have to 'step into the fire' and ride in the current for a while. I myself look at a lot of obstacles as blessings ....'Divine Intervention' and a time for us to connect deeper within our own spiritual growth. Running away from an obstacle is not a solution and we are not allowing a bigger opportunity to come our way. I mean...YES...there are some life obstacles we could do without...I agree....BUT, within my own life journey most of my obstacles have given me a new door to walk through and enter into a bigger light. For example; When I left for Asia in 2009, I was supposed to leave for quite some time to teach abroad. I did get my teaching certificate and I did go to Taiwan to work but I was very confused at the time if I really was on the right path. This in itself was creating a HUGE mind and heart obstacle. I wanted to stick to my 'Jenna' plans, I didn't want to give up, I didn't want to let people down and most of all I thought I needed to prove something to myself and others. Anyway, my obstacle was 'clarity'.......it was brutal for a while. I definitely had to stay in the current and then when I was ready, I jumped on the bigger wave of truth. Long story short ~ I basically just traveled for 6 months and then made the decision (which took a while) to move back home to the states. I wasn't sure why I came back home but ............. here I am owning my own little yoga studio 'jalaBlu'. The sweetness that can follow an obstacle is well worth staying in the current for a while.

Just as with a yoga pose that we are scared to try or we just can't get 'yet'~ However, we keep coming back to our mats to overcome the obstacle and 'step into the fire'. When we finally 'open to grace' and allow our heart to bloom into the possibility of doing that pose or even vision ourselves in that one pose then, we connect with the 'BIG' wave and we just do it!

So within honoring the 'Great Ganesh' within your own life journey ~ May he be present at all times to create obstacles that support your spiritual growth and inner strength and remove obstacles along the way to give you divine love!

love and shri~
Jenna and 'jalaBlu'

No comments:

Post a Comment